Saturday, September 4, 2010

Mr. Fear

I really loved this poem because you didn't have to beat it with a hammer to understand its meaning; however, at the same time, you could look deeper into the poem and find an alternate meaning or another twist. When first reading the poem it appears that the author, Lawrence Raab, is talking about our fears appearing in our night mares. "Mr. Fear, we say in our dreams, what do you have for me tonight?" Then, later in in the poem the narrorator says, "Tell me, Mr. Fear, what must I carry away from your dream?" as if saying we create new fears in our dreams. However, after "beating the poem with a hammer" I felt like the real meaning f this poem was that our fears don't let us dream. They block out our good thoughts and fill our heads with terror. They don't allow us to have good dreams.

1 comment:

  1. "I really loved this poem because you didn't have to beat it with a hammer to understand its meaning; however, at the same time, you could look deeper into the poem and find an alternate meaning or another twist." I totally agree with you and that's what I find appealing in a poem. I like to "get" it on the surface, but dig a little deeper and really find something cool.

    ReplyDelete