Sunday, October 3, 2010

Little Apocalypse


Little Apocalypse by Charles Wright is not my favorite poem that we have read in class, but I still loved it. I really liked the sensory details and how the author made little things seem so important and monumental like "the ground shutters beneath the ant's hoof," or "the robin, great warrior, above." My favorite line in the poem was "Coffins and sugar bones awash in the sudden sun," because it refers not only to the bones whiteness with sugar but also to how long the bones have been at rest because they could blow away like sugar. The double meaning it portrayed really caught me attention. I also think the title was a perfect fit for the poem because it poses two contradicting ideas: little and apocalypse, and throughout the whole poem, the author compares contradicting things like butterflies on patrol, ants making the ground shutter, and a robin being a great warrior. Finally, I liked the biblical reference to the four horsemen and the apocalypse. Conquest, war, famine, and death are the four horsemen as described in the last book of the New Testament of the Bible. Although the four horses were only mentioned in the last line of the poem, throughout the whole poem, it makes references to each horse.

1 comment:

  1. Great apocalyptic picture! I agree, there are many images that come to mind.

    ReplyDelete