Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Coming of Wisdom with Time

"The Coming of Wisdom with Time" by William Butler Yeats talks of a person acquiring knowledge throughout their life time. The first line, "Though the leaves are many, the root is one," can be interpreted several different ways. At first I took it as the leaves are many different ideas and the root as the one mind, the one person, who has those thousands of ideas. The second line, "Through all the lying days of my youth," relates to the mind set of a child. All the world is right in their mind and that is the lie. They believe they are right and their opinions are the only ones. Next, Yeats goes on to say, "I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun," which means he flourished in the learning of knowledge and wisdom and understood the world. Finally, he goes one to say "Now I may wither into the truth," which simply means as he grew old, he wallows in the truth and understating that he has learned throughout his lifetime. Then after rereading the first line, I thought maybe the world is the one root and the leaves are the people, and that first line is the wisdom that is acquired over time: that we are not alone in the world and it does not revolve around us.

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't revolve around us--which is a shame sometimes! :) I do think it is about the wisdom we acquire over the course of our lives. I used to think I was so smart and so clever! Now I'm not as sure! Ha!

    ReplyDelete