Sunday, January 9, 2011

Introduction to Poetry

I remember this was the first poem we read in class. I thought it was ironic how the poem talks about not over analyzing a poem and then we over analyzed it. My favorite stanza from the poem was "walk inside the poem's room and feel the walls for a light switch" because it brought the familiar feeling of that fear of the unknown and the unsteadiness when you're sliding your hand along the cold wall in search for the light switch. This poem is divided into seven stanzas. The second stanza is the one that sticks out the most to me because it is only one line but still part of the same sentence in the first stanza. "or press an ear against its hive." Some writers use shortened sentences to provide emphasis on an idea or phrase. I think in this case, the author, Billy Collins, separated this one lined stanza from the first but kept it the same sentence because it relates to the first stanza but is a different idea. I really love this poem because it makes me laugh because it shows how much we over analyze especially AP students.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it would be fun to revisit this poem mid-year to see if we're still beating poems up! :)

    ReplyDelete