Friday, March 25, 2011

you fit into me

you fit into me
Margaret Atwood

you fit into me
like a hook in an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

The first thing that struck me about this poem was its length. It is two stanzas that consist of a couplet. I find the simile Atwood uses to illustrate how she fits with another to be curious: a fish hook and an eye don't really fit well together at all. I think Atwood could have used this simile to show that the person she is addressing and herself don't fit well together, whether its personality, relationship, etc. The next thing that caught my eye was how the hook changes from just a hook in the first stanza to a fish hook in the second stanza, and how the eye goes from just an eye to an open eye. The use of the fish hook and the open eye creates a more gruesome image for me than the first stanza illustrated ti begin with. I think her tone in this poem is slightly ironic because she is comparing two very different things and poking fun at how they appear to fit well together, then in the second stanza, she emphasizes the eye and the hook and makes them less alike and more gruesome.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, however, I'm not sure you thought about a hook and eye closure? Look it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete