Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Great Gatsby

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by The Great Gatsby. For being such a common and classic novel I found the plot rather boring. The dullness of the book, however, may seem exaggerated to me because I read it after The Kite Runner, which was an extremely intense story.
I used the to learn to write style of annotation and I did not like it as much as the to create trails style like I used in The Kite Runner. Therefore, I found annotating The Great Gatsby difficult because my thoughts did not just flow, and I had to force myself to think of something to write. I think I found this style of annotation difficult because I have never been taught to practice this before; I have always just written down my thoughts when I am asked to mark the text. On the other hand, I am glad I picked this book out of the three for this style of annotation because F. Scott Fitzgerald uses very descriptive adjectives and verbs. I have a lot of respect for him as an author: he is very talented, and I like his style of writing. I do think that watching his style closely in this book will make me concentrate more on my own style.
This book moved very slowly for me. It seemed like the climax of the book was in the last chapter, and the whole rest of the book had a lot of unnecessary information. Another thing I did not like was it seemed like there were a lot of random characters that were hard to keep track of and I found myself getting confused.
I think a lot of my disappointment was because I had high expectations for the book because it is known as classic piece of American literature. I guess this just teaches that I should begin every book with an open mind.

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of characters to keep track of! I had forgotten this. I'm glad you tried a new way of annotating. All I wanted was to give you all some options--in a non-threatening environment! I'm really pleased that people have at least given them a try. I think different ways work for different books and it's good to have different ways to attack them. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete