Saturday, August 14, 2010

Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness definitely surprised me. Several people I had talked to before reading it said they found the book rather boring, but I disagree. I thought that several parts in the book created suspense and the plot was very original. However, I did find much of the book quite confusing, and sometimes I had to re read parts of the book or just never understood them altogether. Some events in the story felt somewhat rushed to me because it was such a short book . I think that a few spots definitely deserved more detail than what was written.
I used the create trails annotation style for this book, and I found it very helpful. It made me read more closely and actually think about the meaning of the book. I also liked making my own index and glossary because it made me look up definitions to words I don't know, so it also helped broaden my vocabulary. I also am glad that I saved this style of annotation for this book because I found several parts confusing so it helped to re read then write my own summary of what just happened which helped me keep track of the main events in the book. I definitely think that if I were to ever re read this book it would be much easier the second time through because of the summaries that I wrote and the words i now know the meaning of.
Because I read this book last, I had already practiced the other two annotating styles; therefore, I found myself using the other two types of annotation in this book, and it was difficult to stick to just the create trails style. If I were to use all three styles in one book, I think I would learn more from the book rather than just using one at a time.

1 comment:

  1. "If I were to use all three styles in one book, I think I would learn more from the book rather than just using one at a time." Awesome!

    I like Heart of Darkness. I think the vocabulary is insane (in a good way!) and, while I'll agree it has slow spots, I think it's suspenseful too. Good post! You're done!!

    ReplyDelete