Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner fell nothing short of its reviews by The New York Times and Newsday. It was powerful, haunting, and definitely unforgettable. I really enjoyed reading this book. Although it was 370 pages, it moved very quickly.
I liked annotating this book more than the others because I used the create trails style of annotation, and I found this book easy to relate to. One reason I was able to connect so well to this book was because I read Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Rein which was set in the Middle East as well. Also, a large part of this book was based around atonement and righting wrongs. It was easy to relate to that because in AP Lang I wrote an essay about The Sunflower, whose main theme is forgiveness.
One part of the book I really liked was watching Amir's character transform from a young boy to a grown man. It was amazing to see the change and how he slowly grasped the gravity of things as he matured. It almost felt like i was there growing up with him and watching this process for myself.
Finally, I loved the level of intensity of this book. The events that happened to these characters blew my mind. I was shocked to see them described in such vivid detail and forwardness. I have never read another book that discusses such traumatic events. It crossed over the line of things people generally feel uncomfortable talking about which is why i loved it! It brought up emotions that I have never felt towards a book before. This made the book even more unforgettable and incredibly moving.

1 comment:

  1. "I read Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Rein which was set in the Middle East as well. Also, a large part of this book was based around atonement and righting wrongs. It was easy to relate to that because in AP Lang I wrote an essay about The Sunflower, whose main theme is forgiveness." Great connection you made to books that you have already experienced. I think Amir is a fascinating character. I loved watching him grow up too. I'm glad you like the book!

    ReplyDelete